Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Moving forward...

After our last BFN we needed some time to regroup, grieve, and figure out what in the world we were going to do. So now, 6 weeks later, we have finally picked ourselves up and are moving forward with adoption. It has been really hard facing the fact that most likely we will never have a biological child. Our RE didn't make it any easier by telling us that in a letter and giving us the phone number for an adoption agency, yes in a letter. What an ass! Needless to say we requested our records and never plan to step foot in that place ever again. I digress... We have been doing research on different agencies in the area and talked to a couple of people who have adopted through those agencies. Yesterday we had a consultation with an agency and Hunter and I both felt really "at home" there. We really liked what they had to say and their processes. After walking out of there we felt we had found the right place. So today we officially signed up with them! It is so exciting to be moving forward on a path that we know will end in us bringing home a baby. Granted, it may be two years from now, but there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel. Out first parenting class is July 20. Right now there is much paperwork to be done. We went through our pictures last night, we are supposed to have 50-60 to give our social worker to create our profile. The problem with our picture? Half of them had alcohol! I don't think any birth-mother would like to think she is giving her child to a bunch of alcoholics! It just happens that most of our pictures are taken with our friends at social functions where there is alcohol. We are going to have to do some serious photoshopping! I know we have a long wait ahead of us and a lot to prepare for! I told Hunter he has to leave out his "Monkey Boy" and his "Bull Dance" stories out when we meet with the social worker! Can you imagine if everyone had to go through all this to have a baby?? Hopefully our police records will come back clean - ha! ha! The good news is, we get the "pregnancy" without gaining any of the weight!

10 comments:

Gil said...

It's been awhile since I've caught up with your blog but I wanted to send along my thoughts to you after your last BFN and applaud you and your husband for choosing another track on the IF path.

I'm slowly reaching a point of needing to make a choice too and I wonder, what brought you to choose adoption? What told you that if it cannot be a biological child, then it's okay for you to adopt? I ask because I'm seeking the answers to the same questions. If you have insight, I'd love to hear it.

Either way, congratulations to you both. I'm glad you felt at home with the agency you saw. And um... cropping photos is a VERY good idea! Hee hee! Good luck!

Somewhat Ordinary said...

I'm so glad that you posted! I had been wondering how things were going with you since the last cycle.

Congratulations on your decision to move forward with adoption! I think you are making a wonderful decision and based on what I know of you from here you guys will make terrific parents! Wishing you all the best.

Rachel said...

I understand how much you must be grieving, and I'm glad you were able to talk it through and together find a way to move forward. I hope this transition is smooth for you. Good luck.

Stephanie said...

how exciting that you guys are going forward with adoption. I hope the process is a short one and leads to a baby in your arms very soon!

Unknown said...

Hi Angi,
I wanted to tell you that I'm so sorry about your BFN but I'm very excited to hear about you and your DH moving forward into the adoption world. I can't wait for the day when you'll finally beable to hold your baby in your arms :) Best of luck to you!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

It's great to hear from you. I am so happy that you are moving forward with adoption and that you found an agency that you really like. Good luck!

Carol said...

I've missed your updates, I hope you are back now and will keep us updated on how things are going.

And I am so glad to see that you have a plan for adopting - that is wonderful news! And it sounds like you feel really good about it. congrats!

abby said...

Congratulations on moving forward with adoption! I wish you and your husband the best...and hopefully it won't take too long and you'll get to hold your son or daughter soon!

AshPash said...

Angi: I am sorry the third IVF did not work for you. IF is something we never really resolve but it sounds like you have given IVF the best shot possible (no pun intended!). My husband and I are parenting two wonderful daughters whom we adopted. IF was a blessing in the sense that we would have missed out on them without it. Now, at age 38, I just had an embryo transfer yesterday (our 1st IVF). I know the IF will never truly be healed in your heart but I want you to know that you are about to go on an amazing journey with adoption....many, many good wishes! :)

katd said...

I've just found your blog and wanted to offer my congrats and support on your decision to adopt. We adopted a baby girl in April and couldn't be happier. It IS a very tough thing to deal with the grief of not having a biological child; let yourself feel it. Here's to hoping it's a short wait! I can't wait to read more! :)